In 1990 Stephanie and I decided we would like a large painting of some sort over the mantlepiece in the sitting room of our new home. We made our own and worked on it together. This was pure DIY—we knew nothing about painting. I worked out the technical details and the artistic concepts (such as they are). We both applied paint to canvas and made paper stencils. Star Flowers, the Beginning, has adorned the chimney breast ever since. Those who visit have always been too polite to pass comment. In all that time it has not had a title. Recently Stephanie proposed ‘The Beginning,’ which I felt was rather soppy and I suggested ‘S-Flowers,’ which would have been rather more technical and the ‘S’ could have stood for various things although, in reality, it was equally soppy.